Knowing the will of God comes with learning His voice
When it comes to discernment, a lot of people struggle to truly know what it is that we are called to do. It is sometimes hard to know if we are walking down the right path, or if we have strayed from the path that God wants us to walk down upon.
If we look at Jesus, and take a moment to reflect on His discernment, it can give us some insight. We know that when Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane, He said, "If it be possible, Father, let this cup pass from me." But then right after He said,"Not my will, but Your will be done."
How did Jesus know so quickly what the will of the Father was? Jesus was so intune to the voice of the Father, that He knew what He had to do.
And for us it is the same, when we know the voice of the Father, it is easier to know what the Lord is calling for us to do.
Knowing the will of God comes with learning His voice, through prayer, fasting and being in a state of grace. When we don't allow for the things of this world to block out the voice of God, we too know what God is calling for us to do.
Here are some practical tips for discernment:
1) Start by going to confession, this allow us to be in a state of grace and to be in tune with God.
2) Receive the sacraments as often as you can. Deepen your connection with God by receiving Him into your heart.
3) Work on your prayer life. You can't hear someone's voice if you don't give them opportunities to speak.
4) Open your bible, listen to God speak His word to you.
5) Spend time in Eucharistic Adoration, allow His Spirit to move you.
6) Fasting: From social media, which can fill us with noise; From food, allows for self discipline and focus on the things above.
Praying for you.